top of page

Secondary Home - A Residence in Need of Specialized Home Insurance.


Your hard work and accomplishments translate into risks that go beyond typical homeownership. Vacation homes, otherwise known as a secondary residence, need special considerations when it comes to protecting them with an insurance policy.  

Your insurance considerations will largely depend on what type of property you have.


An apartment is probably the easiest type of secondary residence to care for because renters insurance policies focus on two basic issues:

  • The contents of the apartment (your personal possessions)  

  • Your liability for accidents due to your actions or negligence 


Renters policies are affordable and can be placed rapidly. The key is having an inventory of your belongings and their value so you get adequate coverage.


With a condo, the structural risks are handled by the condo owners association’s (COA’s) master policy. It’s important to coordinate your condo owners insurance with the master policy, though. Otherwise, you could be left with surprise costs in the case of fire, wind or water damage. 

Your insurance agent can read through the COA’s policy to make sure your possessions, your financial assets and any upgrades you make to the living space are covered.

You may be especially interested in loss assessment coverage. This type of coverage steps in when there is a shared financial liability that the COA’s master policy does not adequately cover. Your agent can advise you on what it will and won’t cover based on your COA’s insurance policy and the terms of your loss assessment coverage.

Townhomes and single-family homes

Townhouses and single-family secondary homes require homeowners insurance. If you own one of these types of homes, you have important clauses to consider — especially regarding vacancy. A home that is left unoccupied for months at a time is considered a higher risk than a primary residence. 

If your home is only occupied part time, you may need “unoccupied home” coverage to make sure your insurance doesn’t lapse. Note that vacant-home insurance is often meant for properties that have no furnishings, such as those up for sale. Unoccupied-home insurance may be a better term for seasonally or periodically used dwellings. 

Coverage for cabins also falls under homeowners insurance for secondary residences, but note any wildfire exclusions or restrictions.

House Keys on Beach to Vacation Home


An established, close relationship with your insurance agent can ease your burden so you can focus more on living your life worry free.  You've earned it!

Security and maintenance

With secondary homes, insurers want to know how much attention, maintenance and security the property receives. In some locations, theft and vandalism are high-level risks, especially for homes that are vacant for extended periods. And in all cases, water leaks and fires are serious concerns.

Learn More By Contacting V.F. McNeil Insurance at 203.481.2684.

Home-sharing and renting

If you intend to let others borrow or rent your vacation home, inform your insurance agent. Guest usage isn’t usually a problem, but your insurer may require you to disclose extensive permissive use. Using the property for income may also create new insurance requirements, such as landlord insurance. 

Learn More By Contacting V.F. McNeil Insurance at 203.481.2684.



Contact us today for a review of your risk.  Request an appointment online, or call 203-483-2988 | 203-481-2684.  We're happy to help!  

Insurance Quote

Contact us for an insurance review & quote.

Thank you for your inquiry!


A V.F. McNeil Agent will be in contact with you within 24 Hours.

Home Sharing_edited_edited.jpg
Confident Businesswoman with arms crossed

Are You a Business Owner in Connecticut?
Below are Just a Few Industries We Work With...

• Manufacturers Insurance
• Restaurant & Food Services Insurance
• Insurance for Cultural Institutions
• Life Science & Bio Science Companies 
• Professional Services
• Commercial Property Insurance
• Private Club Insurance & More

Insurance Options for the CT Affluent Community

When Ordinary Insurance Just Won't Do

We offer custom coverage options for the unique needs of the affluent community.

Three business executives reviewing business information on laptop while in flight

The right insurance from day one®

bottom of page